mail exchange photos and videos

Sun Aug 7 05:35:54 EDT 2005

Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 14:02:31 -0500
Subject: Farmville Station

Frank,

What I usually did when it came to station stops, was
set the speed of the camera way down ( < 10FPS ) after
the train arrived at the station, so that passengers
and baggage appear to move in fast motion. This was
done to reduce the time for that scene, otherwise it
would have been too long. Also, Kodak 16mm film at
the base PX was about $5 and processing about $5; lots
of $$ in the 1950's, especially on Navy pay. I will
look, next time I show the film, for any RPO action.
There may also be
something among my slides. I will keep your question
in mind.

Ron

August 7, 2005

Thank you, Ron. As a side note for other readers,
kindly keep in mind that photos or videos showing mail
exchanges for railways and streetcars are always of
interest. These can either be "catches" from a mail
crane or scenes of mail carts and handlers at car
doorways. For example, I've seen a few of O. Winston
Link's images at Waynesboro where there is mail work
during the station stop. However, I haven't seen
these details at any other stations since Mr. Link
seemed to focus on moving trains versus ones standing
at stations.

Best wishes to all for an August fanned by the breeze
from passing trains,

Frank

Dr. Frank R. Scheer, Curator
Railway Mail Service Library, Inc.