Military Locos?

Mon Aug 15 23:03:07 EDT 2005

To the best of my knowledge, locos owned by branches of the military, in the
U.S., only were operated on military posts except under extraordinary
circumstances.

One possible exception that I'm aware of is a derailment the C&O had at Lee
Hall, VA near where they interchanged with the Ft. Eustis (Army) rail
connection. The 714th Railway Operating Battalion owned a heavy duty wrecking
crane, which assisted the C&O in cleaning up. I suspect one of the Army locos
brought it out. I don't remember the exact date of the incident, so anyone who
does please chime in.

There may have been other exceptions to the general rule, of course.

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 8/15/2005 10:23:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,