Military Locos?

Tue Aug 16 13:23:35 EDT 2005

Correct! In the continental US, military locomotives (including Army,
Navy and Air Force) were used for switching movements on bases. Class A
roads would be contracted to move trains with military freight from base
to base or to ports for shipping. In many cases the switching in modern
times is a government-owned, contractor operated setup. For example, at
Ft Bragg NC the Cape Fear RR operated three locomotives moving trains of
equipment going to deployments and exercises, as well as rail shipments
of jet fuel for Pope AFB and various supplies. They had two "Carolina
Blue" cabooses to provide accomodations for guard detachments traveling
with the equipment trains, as CSX didn't have much in the way of such to
provide by the 80s and 90s when I was watching them.
Military RR units with US Army-marked motive power were used extensively
in wartime to operate trains overseas. Most of the rolling stock was
foreign equipment and the engines were equipped to mate with their
couplers. Stateside a few specialized pieces of rolling stock exist,
such as the DODX-marked heavy-duty flats for tanks and the tank cars
that crried the jet fuel. At the Army Transportation Museum at Ft.
Eustis some interesting historical examples are preserved, including a
training caboose with cupola and bay windows.
The ARROW had some excellent articles recently on WW II units staffed
with N&W folks who served in Europe.

Jeff Cornelius

http://shopnow.netscape.com/