NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 18, Issue 17

Thu Aug 18 10:41:36 EDT 2005

When I was assigned to the Ordnance Shops at Fort Jackson after Korea the
post had a 44 tonner used to move cars around the post. The Class I would
drop cars jsut inside the post and some of the engineer types would crank it
up and do the switching. If anything went wrong they would ask us Ordnance
types, heavy maintenance to fix it. That was hoot as we had no manuals. We
usually went to town and aske the SRR folks for help which they did.
About ten years ago I had the opportunity to visit the Naval Ordnance
Depot near Camp Hill, PA. They had two Baldwin switchers and many specialty
cars, a number of which were heavy riveted construction, such things as
"ring cars" for moving gun turrets. Taking pictures was no problem. Cal
Reynolds