Military Locos?

Fri Aug 19 00:11:52 EDT 2005

That's a new Y-3 on the Bluefield turntable. Bristol's turntable, like most N&W turntables, was a deck girder bridge. Crewe and Bluefield had thru truss turntables. This is Bluefield, from the looks of the roundhouse.

Ed King
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 12:50 PM
Subject: Re: Military Locos?

YES, they used the MRS series of locomotives on the Colorado narrow gauge out of Durango, their was 2 of them used their in the 1960's I seem to recall, several got sent to Alaska.

Could some folks be thinking of the WW1 USRA? that took over the nations railroads? I have seen MANY photos of steam locomotives during that time with "U.S." painted on the tender, along with railroad name painted much smaller.

This is a link to a photo of one of those locomotives on the Bristol Turntable.

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/F1/NS5878.JPG

Here is a photo of an Erie Steam Locomotive, with U.S. markings also.

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns1597.jpeg

Yours Truly

Andy Jennings