Saturday, October 15 " train night" at Boyce, VA - NS MP H46.1

Fri Aug 19 17:43:48 EDT 2005

Hello, all:

You are invited to a "train evening" at Boyce,
Virginia, on Saturday, October 15. This is a pleasant
180 miles north of Roanoke through the scenic Autumn
foliage via I-81 or better yet, US 11 and 340. Arrive
after noon if you like for local railfanning, then
stay for evening presentations.

VENUE

The former N&W station in Boyce, Virginia, is at
milepost H46.1. It was built in 1913 with local
private funding. Evening presentations will be shown
in the main waiting room that is 24 feet square, with
a 24 feet high ceiling.

DIRECTIONS FROM THE NORTH, WEST, AND SOUTH:

Visitors from Front Royal, Winchester, or Berryville
will come to Boyce via US Highway 340. At the blinker
light, please turn east and go 300 yards to the
railroad crossing on East Main Street, Virginia route
723.

DIRECTIONS FROM THE EAST:

If you are coming from the east, follow Interstate 66
to exit 23, which is US Highway 17 north at Delaplane.
Proceed 7.5 miles on Highway 17 through the scenic
Crooked Run valley to the intersection of US Highway
50 adjacent to Paris, Virginia. Make a left onto US
Highway 50, John Mosby Highway, and make the climb and
descent over Ashby Gap. After crossing the Shenandoah
River and going about a mile, Virginia Route 723 turns
off on the right. The road is marked for Millwood and
Boyce. It's about three miles to Millwood, then two
more miles past that community to Boyce. Make a left
into the parking lot adjacent to the NS Railway
crossing.

LODGING:

The Best Western Lee-Jackson Motel is 15 minutes away
and at Exit 312 along Interstate 81. That is at the
US Highway 50 East exit, with a plethora of other
motels and eateries in sight. Most rooms range from
$45 to $60 per night with some specials occasionally
available. Reservations probably aren't needed if you
check in prior to dark.

In the event you want to camp out on a chilly --but
probably not freezing-- October night, there are
several options. If you have a camper, it can be
parked behind the station and an extension cord can be
provided for an electric hook-up. If you have a tent,
it can be erected south of the station in a grassy
area adjacent to the station platform. Finally, if
you only have a sleeping bag and cushion, you may
sleep on the main waiting room floor. For all, there
is an inside one-stall toilet and sink accessible if
I know you are staying over.

PARKING:

Once at the station, please park between East Main
Street and the station building. I recommend that you
leave your vehicle a little away from the track and
not up against the north side of the station. This
is just in case someone desires to take pictures of
trains passing the station.

PRESENTATIONS AND THEME:

Please let me know if you will be attending and if you
have material to present. While others can bring
presentations, I'll show some scenes taken during my
July vacation in Finland, Poland, and Estonia. The
video programs will begin at dusk since the main
waiting room windows cannot be covered to make the
room dark during daylight hours. If the weather is
nice, we may do the presentations under a canopy
outside.

EQUIPMENT:

I will have a digital projector and laptop. I also
have a screen, television, VHS VCR, and a 35 mm Kodak
carosel slide projector that takes either regular or
large capacity tray. Just in case the bulb burns out,
I ask that someone who has a known-to-be-operable
slide projector bring their's along just in case. You
won't need to get it out of your car unless there is a
crisis.

COMMUNICATIONS:

Here are phone numbers of importance: Prior to
Saturday, please call my weekday office phone at (202)
268-2121. The phone number at the station is (540)
837-9090, which you can provide to others as an
emergency point of contact.

Internet access is available for your laptop if you
have a wireless card. For those without a laptop,
there is a desktop computer available on a first-come,
first-served basis.

The fax number at the station is (540) 837-9046. The
fax machine is also available for sending messages, if
needed.

CHAIRS:

Chairs are available on a first-come, first-served
basis. Just in case there are more attendees than
chairs or if you require special seating, please bring
something suitable with you.

FOOD:

There will be complimentary hot dogs and burgers on a
grill starting at both noon and at 7 PM, so come
hungry. If you'd like to bring your own or want to
share side-dishes as pot-luck, please plan
accordingly. There is a refrigerator with a sampling
of soft drinks and a microwave oven if needed. No
"Rule G" infractions are allowed while on Norfolk
Southern leased land. Smoking is okay outside the
building.

ACCESS:

Entry to the large waiting room is by ramp, the
equivalent of two steps up from ground level. The
toilet is not handicapped equipped but can be used
with assistance. It is off the small waiting room
which is about a 40-feet walk on the same level and
should be wide enough for wheelchair passage.

QUESTIONS? ANYTHING I FORGOT?

Please contact me off line at f_scheer at yahoo.com
instead of replying on-list. I will provide you
answers within 24 hours since I check email daily but
not hourly. If it is useful information for others,
I'll include the information in a follow-up reminder
about a week ahead.

Hoping to see YOU!

Dr. Frank R. Scheer, Curator
Railway Mail Service Library, Inc.