The Mighty Mo

Mon Aug 22 13:14:57 EDT 2005

Ed Gorman & Pete Groom,

Apologies to the NWHS listers for continuing this non-N&W dialogue but here goes anyway.

For details of the 1950 two week grounding of USS Missouri between Thimble Shoal and Old Point Comfort, see "Strike Able-Peter, The Stranding and Salvage of the USS Missouri" by John A. Butler, Naval Institute Press, 1995.

"Able-Peter" was the international naval code flag indicating "I am aground" hoisted 17 Jan 1950 on the "Big Mo" and struck ("lowered" for you ground types) two weeks later after a fleet of 23 smaller ships succeeded in freeing her in what became known as "the big pull."

Butler's book gives no indication that the ship's 16 inch gun battery was used, or even considered, to assist the stranded vessel. For one thing, virtually everything movable, including the ship's anchors, were taken off to make the hull lighter. The "Mo" had driven herself onto the shoal with such force (57,000 tons at 12+ knots) that her entire bulk was lifted 7 feet up! More than 11,000 tons of gear was removed, including the hundreds of one-ton projos for her main battery.

The crew also assisted by "sallying" in an attempt to break the suction between the hull and the bottom. 102 tons of sailors (approximately 1360 men), organized into 3 units (fore, aft and amidships,) "...scurried from side to side at precisely called six-second intervals..." to try to"rock the boat."

Albert Burckard

PS: The only N&W connection to Harry Truman's favorite ship that I can imagine is that probably a lot of the ships stores, and the crew also, would have been transported into Portsmouth and Norfolk via N&W. The ammo, however, would probably have been brought into the Yorktown Naval Weapon's Station via C&O.