The Mighty Mo

Tue Aug 23 08:09:57 EDT 2005

Regarding ammo for BB-63, the Missouri -- between Windsor and Zuni, VA
on the 52-mile tangent is a relatively unknown station - Dwight. At one time
it had been a coaling station. During World War II, it became a dispersal
point for ammunition. Switchers were assigned to assemble explosives for
movement to Tidewater on a just-in-time basis. Why ? Because Dwight was
beyond the range of a naval bombardment. So it is possible N&W provided
ammunition for BB-63.

After my return to civilian service, the Coast Guard cutter I was assigned to
got into a scrap with one of the Iowa-class battleships. The USCGC
Chincoteague was commissioned in 1943. Formerly a seaplane tender,
the 311-foot ship was a hand-me-down from the U.S.Navy. The 40-mm
guns had been removed and the only armament left on the "Chink" was a
turret-mounted 5 inch 38.

On weather patrol in the North Atlantic, the "Chink" picked up a huge blip
on radar. More out of curiosity than anything else, a message was
sent for the blip to identify itself. Minutes ticked by. No response. A
second message was sent demanding identification. Still no response.
Now the Coast Guard was livid. CIC (Combat Information Center) became
alive and a third message was sent "Identify yourself or be fired upon".

That's when the cutter received this reply - "Fire when ready. We'll spot
for you. BB-62". The USS New Jersey fresh from refit for the Viet Nam
conflict was attempting to maneuver through the Atlantic undetected.
Harry Bundy