New Display at the Crewe, Va. R.R. Museum

Tue Nov 15 07:53:52 EST 2005

This is a former Army 2-8-0 No. 606, formerly of Fort Eustis, sold in
the late 1960s to Jack Showalter who operated the Alleghany Central out
of Intervale (just outside Covington), Va until about 1983. The
locomotive was stored, unserviceable, at Intervale untll about 3 years
ago when the property had to be vacated. It was/is in poor condition,
mechanically, lots of rot internally and hidden. It is not, nor ever
was an N&W locomotive. Showalter/and or his business partner sold the
locomotive to the Crewe Museum I am told. Since true heritage and
accuracy does not seem to matter to a number of places, it was painted
and lettered as N&W.

Ken Miller