Hooded block signals in Marion VA

Wed Nov 23 23:00:50 EST 2005

Ben,

If I'm not mistaken, the new installation at 24th St. (Roanoke) has the hooded signals.

Jeff Sanders
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 4:55 AM
Subject: Hooded block signals in Marion VA

Well,
NS has done it again! Every time I think I have them figured out they do something that confuses the fire out of me!
Indeed, the new block signal at the Marion section house is for the east end of the siding. The current signal, installed in 1918, and upgraded from semaphores to position lights in 1947, is finally being retired. The installation is in terrible shape.It is very close to Industrial Drive. If it were to give way and fall, it would most likely fall in the street. I'd say that's why they're replacing it.

NS is installing new HOODED Safetran signals at this location, now known as Schuleen. Now, when I think of hoods, I think of UP signals. I've seen some on CSX, but never on any NS trackage. And, factoring in the new signals in Roanoke that were ordered as Color Position signals, now I'm really confused. So, on NS from Roanoke t o Bristol, you'll have N&W, Southern, and Hooded signals all hodge podged together! (Heck, lets get em to bring back semaphores while they're at it!)

Has NS installed this type signal anywhere else, or is this something new for them?

Ben Blevins