Pasquale Codella

Wed Dec 7 23:29:45 EST 2005

Leo,

Between spring 1906 and April 1908, the Norfolk & Western Railway
constructed a "low grade line" around the City of Lynchburg between
the towns of Forest and Concord, VA. This formed a bypass around some
steep grades along the original main line going into and out of
Lynchburg. The new line was placed in service April 6, 1908.

Construction technology at the time relied on steam shovels and small
rail cars which ran on flimsy temporary tracks to move large amounts
of dirt needed to create a gentle grade along the new line. The
temporary tracks would have to be moved frequently as the
construction progressed to areas where the dirt was being dug up
(cut) to where it was being dumped out (fill). Where the line crossed
over a low lying area, the railroad would "fill" the space with dirt
to bring the ground up to the desired grade.

The railroads hire workers to do an endless variety of tasks, such as
building and running locomotives, taking tickets, and sending telegraphs.

Ron Davis