land aquisition

Fri Dec 16 08:24:44 EST 2005

There's a new use for the railroad's right-of-way. Telecommunication
companies are using it for fibre-optic cable. South of my property,
on the north side of NS's right-of-way is AT&T. On the south side is
Sprint. Somewhere in between is NS's cable. Telecommunications
companies find it beneficial to deal with one landowner, rather than
thousands.

Several years ago, in Ohio, there was a case where CSX abandoned
a right-of-way. Because the land had been donated to attract the
railroad way back when, the land reverted to the owners when CSX pulled
out. Problem was, CSX had granted a telecommunications company an
easement, leaving the fibre optic cable in place after the railroad was
removed.

Shortly after that, I received a letter from an Ohio law firm indicating that
there was a class-action suit against AT&T and that AT&T had agreed to
pay about $2.00 a foot for an easement across my property. All I had to
do was sign on the dotted line.

Harry Bundy