heading to N&W country

Sat Dec 24 13:21:53 EST 2005

There are ongoing coal operations at Maitland (east of Welch on US Rt 52), Keystone and Eckman. Maitland and Keystone have large cleaningplants and tipples. There is a coal operation at Pineville up Pinnacle Creek although I haven't been there.

Depending where you are coming from and going to you have a number of options:

Rt 52 from Bluefield to Welch will take you past coke oven on the side of the road after you past Bramwell going through simmones look ofr coke ovens on your left. You will pass foundations of old NOrfolk and Angle mines on both sides of 52.

Take slight dtour off of 52 into Elkhorn. Original post office from 1887 still beign used as well as structures from Elkhorn superintentent residence. GIve you a good idea of a coal camp.

Back on 52 you will see foundations from Upland Coal & Coke and Lynchburg Coal & Coke at Upland and Kyle. See Northfork )or whtas left of it.

The old Algoma company store still stands but not much else on North Fork Branch. You will gpo through Keystone and then Eckman. You will have to get off of 52 to see coal operations at Eckman. Turn right just beofre you cross bridge over NS.

There is also old Pulaski Company Store at Eckman. Then Empire Club houe is now B&B at Landgraft.

Peerless company store still stands at Vivian but you have to get off oc 52 and take long road to left into Vivian.

The Kopperston cpmpany store still satnds at on the other side of Kimball.

Youi will then go through Superior, Maitland and Welch. Or you can take bypass over Welch.

You then have a choice. Take state route 16 to War or go to Iaeger. There is not much anymore onthe way to Iaeger except you will follow the NS main line form Roderfield to Iaeger. The old rails from the Spice Creek branch are still in some places.

If you take 16 you can go to Coalwood which still has the coampny store, clubhouse and machine shop standing. You will have to turn off of 16 to go up to Coalwood. Come back onto 16 and you will go through Caretta which still had part of a tipple standing 2 years ago.

When you get to Yukon take st route 83 towards Bradshaw and then back up to Iaeger. You will be following the Dry Fork Branch.

There is a lot of coal being hauled on the branches and mainline theese days, but a lot of it is from out of the way places. Gary No 8 at Elbert is loading about 33 cars a day and I think they are loading about 200 cars a week out of Munson (Gary No 14). There is a working mine at Gary No 7 also at Elbert.

The roads are very curvy.

Alex Schust