The End of the Saltville Branch

Wed Jan 4 17:12:55 EST 2006

>From the Bristol Herald Courier:

http://www.tricities.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=TRI/MGArticle/TRI_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1128769036724

The article mentions that A&K Railroad, http://www.akrailroad.com/ will be doing the removal of the rail, which is 130 pound rail all the way to the yard according to my N&W Track Chart. After that, its 100 pound on the N&W side, and I don't know what all variants were used on the Olin- Mathieson Alkali Works tracks. From all the track charts I've been provided with, Olin had 19 miles in the town, and with yard and all I'd guesstimate the N&W had between 12 to 14 miles, if not more. Anyway, here's the article. Enjoy. (If you can...) I'd always had a futile hope the railroad could be resurrected. I guess not.

Ben Blevins