The End of the Saltville Branch

Thu Jan 12 12:26:26 EST 2006

Ben,

Good photos of Saltville. It's been a long time since I've been there to see the steam locomotives, the Saltville yard, and the other equipment.

Anyone on the list:

Regarding the Saltville Branch, Glade Spring had five or six tracks adjacent to the Hillman highway and a TOFC ramp to the east of the Glade depot under the road to Saltville (highway 91).

Now, in the mid to late 1960s, I believe, the time freights between Roanoke and Bristol did not run through but met at Glade to exchange cars, then returned to Roanoke and Bristol. I'm not too knowledgeable about this since I heard about it back in the early 1970s after these procedures had ended as Olin began closing down and the three or four tracks adajcent to the double track now along the Hillman highway were removed.

I've always been curious about the full story about this thing of no thru freights for a time between Roanoke and Bristol, so can anyone provide some insight on these procedures at Glade and Saltville in the mid to late 1960s.

Thanks,

Mike Jackson