speed and cutoff

Sat Jan 14 17:44:59 EST 2006

Amazo! A souped-up USRA compound had more DBHP than an A! I've got
to go back into your(?) book and compare boiler specs.

pete groo
On Jan 14, 2006, at 11:35 AM, nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org wrote:

John,

. . .
2. The Y6b's [later included the improved Y5 and Y6's] were worked
at about 55% cutoff before the engineer regulated power needs by the
throttle. The maximum DBHP of 5600 was at 25 MPH.

3. For the single expansion A's and J's, they were operated at
about 25-30% cutoff while running. I have nothing about the cutoff at
70 MPH that you asked for. The A developed a maximum 5350 DBHP at 40
MPH and the J 5150 DBHP at 41 MPH.
. . .