Houston Mines

Sat Jan 14 17:53:14 EST 2006

To Richard Shell & Co. :

You might find that the Houston Mines are somehow related to Henry Houston of Philadelphia, a big-wig PRR man (General Freight Agent or some such) and an investor in the Shenandoah Valley RR.

There is still a public school on Germantown Avenue in Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, named for him. Shortly before we were transferred away from Philadelphia in 1981, there was an early instance of a school shooting there. As I recall, one sixth grader shot another. Chestnut Hill, like the Philadelphia "Main Line," was the province of the wealthy class in Houston's day.

-- abram burnett