Picture Help

Tue Jan 17 23:02:30 EST 2006

James -

The first photo shows an eastbound passenger train at Green Hill (MP N275) crossing the South Fork of the Roanoke River. This is east of Elliston and west of Singer on what is now the NS Christiansburg District west of Roanoke. The bridge over the river can be easily seen from Rt. 460 and the highway (what is now old Rt. 11) overpass in the background is currently closed to vehicle traffic. The "Green Hill" signal bridge now stands right about where the last car of the train is at.

The second image is of J-Class #603 which is likely taking a spin on the turntable at Shaffer's Crossing in Roanoke.

Jeff Hawkins - Richmond, VA
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 7:14 PM
Subject: Picture Help

I have been lurking on the list for awhile and have enjoyed reading and learning more on the N&W. I have found some pictures and I would like

Some help identifying the locations and trains if possible.

Thanks in Advance,

James Wall

Look Ahead, Look South

Member SRHA