Fish oil and aluminum paint

Fri Feb 3 11:24:45 EST 2006

Chuck,

Here is just a little bit of info on your query.

I remember Rustoleum ads for its bridge coatings in the old railroad trade journals mentioned fish oil as a beneficial component. The following is from the Web page:

http://www.paintideas.com/product_info.asp?LinkCount=1&ProductId1=25&FLT=~0~

Rusty Metal Primer
The original and the best, based on Rust-Oleum founder Captain Robert Fergusson's discovery of raw fish oil's ability to stop rust and prevent corrosion on metal ship decks. Unique fish-oil-based formula penetrates rust to bare metal, to drive out corrosive air and moisture other primers leave behind. Bonds tightly to rust to form a surface that topcoats can adhere to.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 10:42 PM
Subject: Fish oil and aluminum paint

In reading Virginian Railway In Color by McClure and Plant, I found several references to the use of fish oil and aluminum paint to spiff up locomotives. Was this a routine cleaning and polishing? Was fish oil really FISH OIL? Was the aluminum paint used for decorative reasons or did it provide better protection? Did the different shops have their own way of cleaning up locomotives to make them distinctive? Would some of the knowledgeable Virginian brethren on the list please expand on this. I have a hard enough time washing and waxing a small pickup, so I can't imagine polishing an AG.

Thanks,
Chuck Stewart
Bahama