Date for Commerce St Gate Tender?

Sun Feb 5 22:02:16 EST 2006

Can anyone provide the date that the Commerce St Gate Tender at Roanoke was abolished and replaced with automatic crossing circuits?

I have two photos of the last train over the crossing while the gate tender's job was "manned," but I forgot to write the date on the prints. I think it was around 1970.

In thinking about this situation, I wonder who the gate tenders "reported to"? What craft did they come from, and what seniority roster were they on?

-- abram burnett