Flat or Gloss on Gauge Hands?

Wed Feb 8 20:29:48 EST 2006

Perhaps someone has run across documentation that will help me select the proper paint to a pair of hands (red and black) on an N&W Aschcroft duplex gauge. The gauge is stamped (meaning incised into the metal with lettering dies) to read steam chest pressure and receiver pipe pressure.

Gloss paint, or flat paint? Or did N&W have no standards on this matter?

An air brake guy from another large eastern railroad (who's name I am not allowed to mention on this List, but who's e-mail address was "tuscan_red.com,") says that his road did not allow gloss paint on gauge hands account they didn't want any possibility of glare leading the engineman to make an inaccurate reading.

Did the N&W have druthers of this nature, or were gauge hands painted with "whatever's available" ?

Thanks for any guidance anyone can give.

-- abram burnett