Columbus, Ohio Roundhouse

Sat Feb 11 12:12:15 EST 2006

Mr. Hall: There is a good deal of Columbus Joyce Avenue photos out
there. And yes, they haven't been put into a unified collection. (I
have never seen any earlier Watkins Yard photos though. Odd with
Watkins Avenue overpass going right over the middle of the yard.)

As to photos of N&W passenger trains at Columbus Union, I have found
only a few (I haven't found a lot of other railroad's either!) But, the
fan trip down the N&W to the Ohio Midland and the run over the Ohio
Midland generated a few. M. D. Carter in Arizona has a couple of nice
ones of the heavyweight cars and the K-2 under the umbrella shed and in
Joyce. I flushed some out of the interurban/electrified railfan
community (network, network, network!) as the trip was more for that
group than the mainline steam passenger group.

The N&WHS sold the terminal track map of the Columbus area in the late
1990's after the convention there. Contact me about that if you do not
have one.

Also, Bob's Photos has a super shot taken off of the 12th Street viaduct
( I think that's the one- it was west of Cleveland Avenue) before it was
torn down looking west into the sheds and tracks. The High Street
arcade arches are visible behind the station. The shot is from about
1915. This 4x5 negative was from a collection that he bought out of
Connecticut that had many electrification negatives including early N&W
electrification. This Columbus negative was not identified, but I
recognized the High Street arches- cain't be no other place! He has
sold more than a few prints since then at the Columbus Railroadania
shows.

G Rolih

rolih at nwhs.org