two questions about steam

Sat Feb 25 12:26:48 EST 2006

N&W was apparently very interested in the operating
economies gained by using various grades and sizes of
coal. There was a series of tests run in Sept. and
Oct. 1947 with #2145. Three sizes of coal were used:

2" x 0" (lots of fines)
2" x 1/4"
2-1/2' x 1/1/4" (almost no fines)

During road tests the advantage of sized coal was
about 14% over coal with large amounts of fines
(measured in lbs of steam per lb of coal). Whether
N&W always used this size grading for coal I don't
know, but in photos the tenders look like they are
full of golf balls rather than dust and chunks.

Keep in mind the stoker screw will contribute a
certain of crushing regardless of initial coal size.

Dave Stephenson