N&W sightseeing along the Shenandoah Division

Fri Mar 10 05:55:17 EST 2006

Thanks Mr. Cooper! This will come in very handy, and was what I was hoping for.

As for Roanoke, I'm going there tomorrow for my niece's first birthday. While I'm there I'm taking in the Link Museum again, this time with my Dad. He's the one who taught me everything I know about photography, and I'd like for him to see Links work first hand.

Thanks everyone for your input. I have it all filed away for the trip.

Ben Blevins

Hello Ben,

-- Mason's Quick and Easy List of stuff to see...

For the N&W fan coming from Roanoke, take I-64 off I-81 to Waynesboro and
follow US Rt 340 north. Plan some extra time in your schedule.. : ) -
Scanner frequency used is 160.440
- At Waynesboro the shifter still works with an N&W caboose.
- U.S. 340 roughly parallels the old Shenandoah Division northward and any
train movements can
be easily spotted (or heard on the scanner).
- An N&W Ore branch existed at Crimora. If you can study in advance on old
maps you can still see traces running eastward to ore bank in Blue Ridge
mtns.
- Restored N&W section house at Island Ford on the Coors Property - can
photo from public area
- Shenandoah VA - Division point (crew change and CW interchange) old main
street front yard is being restored - N&W CF caboose and other N&W material
at town welcome center,
Mof W equipment in N&W paint maintained by yard forces in lieu of trip to
ROK for NS "safety orange"
- Stanley VA - more N&W MofW cars
- Luray - restored N&W station
- Route 340 between Luray and Front Royal has N&W track with several
spectacular trestles
- Front Royal - shifter has N&W caboose - usually back at station by
afternoon
(NS/ex-SR traffic via Manassas joins Hagerstwon District at Riverton Jct)
- White Post - station
- Boyce - ... you already know about that...
- Charlestown WV - 2 stations (N&W + restored SVRR/N&W) on west side of town
- Shepherdstown WV - restored station
- Antietam MD - station soon to house Hagerstown Model RR Club
- St. James MD - station now private residience located approx. 1 block from
RR on east
- Hagerstown MD - Vardo Yard - Maryland Aveenue on east side offers some
opportunity
along with Downsville Pike bridge on south side and Virginia Avenue on the
north end.

Travel Safely,
Mason Cooper