N&W sightseeing along the Shenandoah Division

Fri Mar 10 21:55:49 EST 2006

Yes, it is on the west side of town, out past the old American Viscose Plant
(or the remains thereof). From 340 I believe you would turn west on 6th
Street (there is probably a sign indicating the hospital is in that
direction). Basically, you remain on 6th street, out past the remains of
the Viscose Plant. The roadway goes under the N&W tracks to the old
Virginia Food Plant, most of which has been rehabbed and now used by other
businesses.

If you stop at Stonewall, south of Elkton, at the Merck Plant, do not linger
very long as the Plant Security force will come and chase you off the public
highway. Yes, I know it is a public highway, etc., etc.,....but don't risk
it.

In Luray, some of the buildings of the old Virginia Oak Tannery still remain
and are used by various businesses; some of these folks are not the
friendliest people, so be cautious. There are some interesting
bridges/trestles between Luray and Front Royal. Page Milling still has some
buildings in use just south of the N&W Depot.

And then there is the road near Stanley that Mason Cooper told me never to
go down unless he was with me....something about stills and revenuers.

Just north of Charlestown, on VA RT 9, you can visit Shenandoah Junction
where the N&W and B&O interchanged. Look for the signs as you will turn
east off of RT 9 and go a short distance before you encounter the N&W
tracks.

There is a lot of neat stuff to see "in the Valley."

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD
www.pocahontasmodel.com

Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 8:46 AM
Subject: Re: N&W sightseeing along the Shenandoah Division

Is there an N&W station on the west side of Front Royal? The former SR
station in the center of town is restored as a visitor center.

J. Kelling
Greenbelt, MD

Front Royal Depot...was still there the last time I was down the Valley.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD

Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 2:08 AM
Subject: N&W sightseeing along the Shenandoah Division