Locomotive Sand

Wed Mar 22 20:50:14 EST 2006

Jim,

I am not an authority but the use of boxcars for sand doesn't make sense,
during the steam era. During the steam era sand dispensing was combined
with coaling towers (like at shaffers). Also steam engines use much more
sand than diesels. Also it wouldn't make much sense filling the sand
chamber on a coaling tower with bags. A classJ hold 11 bushells of sand.

Bagged sand might have made sense at somewhere small.

Just my 2 cents
John Rhodes