Locomotive Sand

Wed Mar 22 23:52:33 EST 2006

The RF&P and SOU hauled company locomotive sand in open gons, which was unloaded by hand in the days of steam at POT YD and Duke St.YD The sand house had a large coal stove with a larger sheet metal skirt around three sides of the stove. The wet sand was hand shoveled between the sheet metal skirt and the hot stove to dry it. Air was used to blow the dry sand through a pipes to the Locomotive sand dome I am sure the N&W used the same system as the RF&P, SOU and other roads. Looks like may be I am the only grayhead around from the steam days.
HB Lyon

I can't remember the source or even if it is reliable, so take this as a
grain of salt until verified. I recall someone telling me many years ago that
N&W hauled company sand in open gons!