N&W Pass Ex 503 West, October

Wed Apr 5 00:34:12 EDT 2006

On standard drawing L-136A, dated November 27, 1933, stations signs for
First Class Stations, Roanoke, Bluefield, Petersburg, Bristol,
Williamson, Portsmouth and Lynchburg were to be gold leaf on a black
smalt background, all others were to be black letters on white
background. Now what "smalt" is exactly in this case, I am not sure.
The definition is a ground glass colored blue in every source I can
find, however all definitions specifically talk about cobalt blue
color. I don't have a Roanoke sign from that era to compare, but on one
of mine from Portsmouth, it appears to be a pale yellow lettering on
black paint. Radford, a new style sign is on a flat black background
with some sandy texture on it. Perhaps the intent was in the era before
reflective paint to allow a headlight to catch the sign and it
reflected back in the sand or glass surface at night.

The general answer was black letters on white board with black borders,
except for the stations mentioned. On restoration of a North Fork sign,
I found specific evidence of earlier sign with imitation gold (yellow)
on black background.

Ken Miller