Housekeeping

Fri Apr 14 11:30:29 EDT 2006

You're right, Bill, I never saw The Powhatan Arrow displaying signals for
following sections, but it did happen. Relying on memory here, on
January 2, 1956, there was a grade crossing collision at U.S. 17 west of
Bridge 7. This was the second section of No. 26. The newspaper account
indicated that the engineer stated the speed was "about 78 MPH" at the
time of the collision. What an eloquent quote! Louis Newton advises that
this was the last date that N&W ran The Powhatan Arrow in sections.

Auntie's Clothes Line relied on New York - Florida traffic, but N&W and other
railroads supplied transportation (at reduced rates) for the "anchor-crankers"
returning to Norfolk after the holidays. In the mid-50's, N&W also accomodated the
Navy by transferring servicemen and dependents to San Diego. After First/3
departed Norfolk, there were three additional sections - and no, I didn't
see that one either.
Harry Bundy