Line-and-Shaft vs. Electric Motors

Fri Apr 21 08:16:14 EDT 2006

If any of you are ever in Cincinnati, be sure to pay a visit to the Museum Center (in Union Station, of course!). On the Cincinnati history side, they have (or had the last time I was there) an operating machine shop working off the "line and shaft". They had a lathe, a drill press, a milling machine among others. It was really neat for a gearhead to observe the workings of these older machines.

While it isn't anywhere near on the scale of the Orbisonia shops or East End, it's still fascinating.

John Samples