Strasburg

Sun May 21 21:48:05 EDT 2006

I am sorry that I won't be in Strasburg for the convention, but I enjoyed a
visit (my third) there last July. I would like to make some suggestions for
things to do and see.

The Strasburg Railroad Gift Shop (not the tourist stuff on the first floor,
but upstairs). They have the largest selection of railroad books I have
ever seen (all railroads), and some model train supplies (heavy on PRR).

Just west of the Strasburg RR on the other side of the street near the Choo
Choo Barn is the Strasburg Train Shop (first floor) and Railroad Books &
Videos (on the second floor). The upstairs shop also has a good selection
of used O gauge, and both shops had some good deals (P2K N&W GP18 for half
price).

If you get really really hungry check out Miller's Smorgasbord & Bakery on
US 30 in Ronks PA (north and east of Strasburg). I little pricey compared
to say a Ryan's, but worth the experience. The best corn-on-the-cob I ever
ate!

Depending on the direction of your travels, modelers might want to check out
these shop as well:

Tommy Gilbert's Hobby Shop, Gettysburg PA (I first went to this shop
back in the 60's).

Mainline Hobby Supply, Blue Ridge Summit PA; take PA 16 east from I-81
exit 3, or PA 116 from Gettysburg, or MD 140/PA 16 from Emmitsburg MD.

Of course, if you get near Baltimore on your way to or from, you must
stop at M.B. Kline (been there for ever).

Dick Dunford