N&W B&O

Wed May 31 15:08:08 EDT 2006

Harry,

You know that the line did not pass east from Coal Grove for a good number of years. "The Narrows" was consider an obstacle so the Ohio & Southwestern terminated at the ferry crossing to Ashland, KY. The rail then used an incline to the river's edge and moved cars to Kentucky via a car ferry that grounded below the ( from 30's to the 80's era Ford Brothers, Inc tank truck terminal). And this land is still in NS's hands. The stone piles that were somewhat of a bridgework to the river's edge are still laying there. As kids we played on them but man did you worry about snakes.

When the lady built the Kenova bridge (and leased it to N&W) the laid the connection down over the bottoms and thru "The Narrows" has to be when N&W bought the lines that headed them to Columbus. I dont know the origins of the Pea Vine, has to be an interesting story also.

To me Railroads just lead me through history.

Oak

Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:55 AM
Subject: Re: N&W B&O

Thanks, Oakie. Kinda makes sense that the line went to Coal Grove. After
crossing the Ohio, I suppose passengers from Ashland could ride the trolley line
from there.
Harry Bundy