FW: N&W Soutehrn passenger trains

Sun Jun 25 22:10:14 EDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Smoot, Ray
Sent: Sun 6/25/2006 10:06 PM
To: NW Mailing List
Subject: N&W Soutehrn passenger trains

As one who hung out at Kemper Street Station with Aubrey Wiley in the early 1960's, I can add the following.

No. 46 had from two to six mail cars (from points west on the N&W) attached to the end at Roanoke (I am curious as to how they got to Roanoke). The cars were taken off at Monroe and put on Southern No. 19 (a mail only train) that departed Monroe at 6pm.

I do not know how these cars were handled in reserve order but do know they were NOT placed on No. 45 nor No. 17, so they must have been attached to No. 41 at Monroe and taken back to Roanoke.

If anyone can shed any additional light on this, it will clear up a longstanding mystery for me.

Other observations from Kemper Street Station in the early 1960's:

No. 18 handled the fewest passengers of the three NW/Southern northbound trains and usually had about 10- 12 cars.

No. 46 ran habitually late, often had alot of "box mail" cars on the headend and usually had about 12- 15 cars including the ones referenced above. At certain times of the year around holidays, passenger traffic was very heary and up to nine passenger cars (3 were typical) would swell the consist to 18-19 cars.

No.42 ran 12- 16 cars

No. 45 ran 10- 12 cars

No. 17 ran 14- 18 cars

No. 41 ran 10- 13 cars.