Appreciation Run

Tue Jun 27 05:17:44 EDT 2006

Mike,
Thanks for sharing the photo! I love it!
That trestle is known as "tinbridge". I heard it used to be covered with tin, but I don't know if that's true or not.

I was in Saltville Sunday and there are piles of ties all along the old route. I don't know if the conversion to a trail will be successful or not. While I like the branch, it doesn't have the majesty the Virginia Creeper Trail does.
Ben Blevins

Anyone want to advise the exact date for this image. My negative files say Aug., 1960 but I am not sure. At any rate, units 501 and 506 are making a celebratory run on the Saltville - Glade Spring branch and are crossing the trestle south of Plasterco.

This is the new "battleground" for those opposed to Saltville's making it into a hiking/biking trail. (The rails have now been removed and the ties are following.)

Mike Pierry, Jr.