caboose restoration

Wed Jul 12 14:08:32 EDT 2006

"I am restoring N&W caboose #518654 manufactured in 1970. A few
questions: it had 3 bunks when built which were replaced by seats in
1976 when it went into pool service."

The pool service agreement actually went into effect early in the seventies,
before 1973.

"Does that mean it was an assigned
caboose from 1970-1976?"

If it was before the pool service agreement, sure. After the pool service
agreement went into effect, only shifters and maybe mine runs would have an
assigned cab.

"Does that mean that the conductor, brakeman,
flagman actually slept aboard at times? Or were the bunks used for
other purposes - seats for transporting crew?"

Some train crews slept on their assigned cabs at away from home terminals. I
know that my father in law did. Some crews went together and rented rooms or
houses to sleep in.

"Does anyone have any pictures of the original interiors (so I can see what
the bunks looked
like)?"

The bunks were a black heavy type of vinyl, maybe as thick as the cupola
seats.

" I can tell exactly where they were and how high they were and
size because of the holes in the floor and the cut outs in the metal
strips on the walls. Why were they so low?"

To provide head room to the bunk above.

" Food supplies: I am
trying to make the interior look as it would have when first put into
use. Where would the guys have stored their staples - coffee, sugar,
etc. - and utensils (coffee cups, spoons, etc.)."

There are lockers under each seat.

" Heating stove: when
I stripped the floor of its badly deteriorating paint, there were
numerous small burn spots around the stove area (not visible when there
were 2 coats of paint on the floor). They seem to be from sparks - as
you would see around a coal stove or wood stove in an old house. The
N&W caboose book says this caboose had a propane stove originally - but
the heating stove in it now has the installation date of 1980. Could
there have been a coal stove originally? If not, what could have made
the burn spots?"

There was a two burner "hot plate" next to the sink counter, between it and
the ice box.

"Also, why do some cabooses have the round "targets"
hung just outside the end doors on the platform - while others do not?
Were they red or yellow - or something else? What is their purpose?"

Those are the markers that every train needed to denote the rear of the
train. A caboose may not actually be the rear of the train. Maybe it has
cars behind it, in which may have a red flag stuck in the knuckle. The train
may have parted and is moving the bad ordered car someplace to be set off,
in which case there would be no flag or marker. Where ever the marker is,
that is the rear of the train. You may find a red light at each corner at
the top of each end. These were lighted markers that were used at night and
the ends were swapped by a switch inside the cab.

"am also looking for a video taken from the rear of the caboose so that
I can show school children (and others) what the view was for the
conductor"

Sorry, I can't help you with that one.
Jimmy Lisle