Wabash-N&W Chicago Commuter Train

Sat Jul 15 01:22:49 EDT 2006

Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 00:50:11 -0000
From: "Andy Roth" <darlaroth at insightbb.com>
To: f_scheer at yahoo.com
Subject: Wabash-N&W Chicago Commuter Train

Hello Dr. Scheer,

I recognized your name and RPO interest. I have
purchased a few RPO documents from you a few years
ago. I am currently writing a book about the commuter
trains in Chicago. I read your posting on Yahoo Groups
last year when you briefly described riding the train
to downstate Illinois. You stated that you worked on
the division in late 1975 and early 1976 and that the
train still ran out of
Dearborn Street station (Annex) at that time. Did the
commuter train run out of Dearborn St. Station Annex
the entire time you were on the Division? I have
timetable information dated December 2, 1976 that the
train was operating into Union Station as of that
date. I am trying to confinm that sometime during
1976, the N&W train switched to Union Station.

Could you also share information about the commuter
operations? I understand that the train was operated
by a Decatur based crew who stayed away from home
during the week. Can you confirm this? You stated
that the coaches were maintained at Decatur and
rotated into and out of service on the weekend.

You mentioned that the steam lines were kept active on
the train when it was in Decatur and briefly what
happened one winter day when the steam was not left
on. Can you recall how was the steam handled
and kept on overnight at Orland Park and at Dearborn
Street Station during the daytime? Where was the
water refilled on the steam generator, was it during
the daytime during the Chicago layover? Can you
recall the type of locomotive assigned to the commuter
train while you were on the Division.

You mentioned the train was about 5 to 6 cars? Was
this the typical length of the train while you were on
the Division?

Can I please have your permission to use the
information you posted in the book? Any help you can
offer and any other recollections would be greatly
appreciated.

Sincerely,
Andy Roth

July 15, 2006

Good morning, Andy:

Good follow-up questions; I wish I had more
authoritative answers. I only rode the Orland Park
commuter train once on a Friday back from Chicago to
Decatur. Once passengers were discharged at Orland
Park, the train deadheaded back to Decatur.

Aside from that one trip, I only recall the trainset
in Decatur during its weekend layovers, plus movement
through Decatur Yard to the former Wabash car shop
area on the northwest side of Decatur Yard. The train
would pull down the main line that ran through the
center of the yard adjacent to the Yard office,
stopped near the IC-N&W crossing at Wabic Tower, then
back into the car shops. At the time, the car shops
still had its transfer table and I remember that the
carpentry shop was still active, making replacement
seating and cushions for system cabooses. By the way,
the former Wabash locomotive shop was rebuilding
traction motors for system use in that mid-1970s era.

While I don't have anything other than belief to
support this, I suppose the train and engine crew
rosters for the Orland Park local were the remnants of
the former Wabash's passenger crew district from
Chicago to Decatur. I'm unable to tell you whether
the crew lived in Decatur and stayed over all week in
the Chicago area. It could have been possible for the
crew members to live in Chicago or elsewhere along the
line, drive down to Decatur when called for the train
on Monday morning, then drive back to their residences
after returning the train to Decatur late on Friday
evening.

I don't have information about when the train
operation was transferred from Dearborn to Union
Stations. I was at Decatur until the beginning of
March 1976, and believe it operated out of Dearborn at
least until that time. I regret I know little about
the Annex. However, the car shop at Decatur as well
as the ready tracks at Chicago stations had steam line
connections. Decatur Yard also had yard air
connections so a train line could be charged for
freight trains before power was added.

The coaches and diesel locomotive were the same as
what were once used on N&W main line trains between
Norfolk and Cincinnati. About five coaches and a
locomotive was the usual consist; there was only a
single trainset. The EMD GP-7 (or were they GP-9...
motive power knowledge was never my strong point) had
steam generators that I assume were serviced at
Chicago-area locomotive facilities during weekdays.
This power was reserved for the train because of their
steam generators. I do not know if some reserve
coaches were kept at Chicago or Decatur if there was a
bad order car. Trainmaster Nick Kennedy drove me
through the car shop area once and I believe a spare
coach was kept there among the cabooses being
renovated or repaired.

It's funny to me how 31 years later, some mental
images are as clear as a grain elevator on the horizon
ten miles distant along US Highway 36 on a hot July
afternoon, while other facts are in perpetual midnight
darkness under the Sangamon River bridge. I've copied
Dave Gibson who was a night Trainmaster at Decatur
Yard in 1975. Along with General Yardmaster K. K.
Davis, they made an unbeatable team of operational
knowledge. Perhaps Dave has other information he can
share with you. In any event, you're welcome to use
whatever I've written in your prospective book. It
would be nice if you can add my email address, too:
f_scheer at railwaymailservicelibrary.org

Best wishes,

Frank Scheer