Wabash-N&W Chicago Commuter Train

Sun Jul 16 16:00:08 EDT 2006

Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 09:23:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: "David Gibson" <dtgibson49 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Wabash-N&W Chicago Commuter Train
To: "darlaroth" <darlaroth at insightbb.com>, "Frank
Scheer" <f_scheer at yahoo.com>

Hi Frank and Mr. Roth,

Ah! The old commuter train. Once again Frank we are
talking about memories of long ago and many details
have been lost to time.

KK and I were the assigned night supervisors, the
starting hours varied between 7p to 7a or 11p to 7a.
KK generally worked in the office and I (being the
snotty noise kid) worked the field.

I do not have the answers to Mr. Roth's questions, but
I will try to provide information on the general
Friday to Monday operation.

As I remember the commuter train arrive from Chgo.
between 8 and 9pm on Friday evening. After arrival,
the 2nd trick Woodford Street job would take the train
from the Depot and spot it at the coach shop. The
train would be spotted on the coach shop lead over the
transfer table and down toward the blowout tracks.
(Generally I would check the transfer table to be sure
it was in position before the train was spotted.)
During the winter, after the train was put away, the
Power Car [steam generator] was spotted at the Diesel
Shop for service. I can not remember who handled the
power to the house.

Saturday, Rip track engine would switch train as
needed.

Sunday [winter] 2nd trick Woodford Street Job would
pick up the power car from the Diesel Shop about 10p
and add to train on coach shop lead. (When it was very
cold my first job of the evening was to check the
coach shop lead switch for ice [condensation from the
train steam line would freeze up the switch points.
Many hours were spent picking out the switch.] After
the engine was cut away from the train, water was
added to fill the tanks.

Monday, about 2a, the 3rd Trick Woodford Street Job
would pull the train to the Depot. In the winter,once
spotted the water tanks in the power car were topped
off for the final time before departure to Chgo. Once
again I can not remember who handle the power from the
house to the train and the call and Departure times.

When the weather was warm, the handling of the
commuter train for service was much easier, but no
matter the season of the year getting the train
through Decatur yard was an operational challenge. The
preferred method of operation was on the Main Line,
which was on the south side of the yard next to the
Staley elevators. On Friday evenings, on more than one
occasion, it was necessary to bring it through an open
track in the yard due to the Main being blocked by
KD16 for Detroit. Monday morning the commuter departed
via the Main from the Depot.

I hope this is of some help. I wish I could be of more
help on your specific questions, but I was only
involved with the train a Decatur.

Dave Gibson

July 16, 2006

Thanks, Dave, for all that you remembered. I had
forgotten the main line was on the side of Decatur
Yard adjacent to the A. E. Staley plant. Somehow I
recalled that the main line when through the middle of
the yard. I suppose that is a good reason why I
didn't make the grade....

The only other trains I saw using the main line were
the Illinois Terminal trains which operated over the
N&W on trackage rights. I'm not sure what else ran on
the main track as I don't recall run-through trains
by-passing Decatur yard.

Keep cool this summer, all!

Best wishes,

Frank Scheer