Roof damage at VMT

Fri Jul 21 00:59:40 EDT 2006

Dennis M. Linsky (Dennismk1 at aol.com) has sent you an
item from http://www.wdbj7.com

Wind damages roof of Virginia Museum of Transportation
http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?s=5172714

July 20, 2006
Cleanup underway after damaging storms

Severe storms sweep through Roanoke Valley (07/19)

Appalachian Power says 1,300 customers in Virginia
remain without power this afternoon after yesterday's
thunderstorms. The company says 95 per cent of the
outages are in the city of Roanoke, where a big
cleanup is underway.

Winds from a storm ripped part of the roof off the
Virginia Museum of Transportation in downtown Roanoke
last night. Museum officials say the roof over the
east end of the building was destroyed. The $250,000
roof was put on just last year.

Just before 6 o'clock the storm--with recorded winds
of up to 50 miles per hour--swept through downtown.
It peeled back the roof, picked up an air conditioning
unit and even hit the neighboring Roanoke Times-
before coming to rest in the parking lot between the
two structures.

Fire officials were relieved to find that no one was
trapped beneath the debris. Roanoke Gas came in and
turned off a gas line which had been severe during the
storm. Then crews turned their efforts inside, moving
exhibits and pictures to dryer ground and covering
what was left in case of another round of rain.

It could be a couple of months before the museum
reopens costing it desperately needed venue. But the
director says there is a silver lining.

"Of all our galleries that's one that we were waiting
to start a major renovation," said museum director Bob
Dills. "So some things were actually out of there and
the planes that are in there are made to withstand the
elements."

Dills said there's no word on just how much damage was
caused by the storm. He said they will assess the
current damage, let things dry out and then assess
again.

July 21, 2006

Hello, Dennis:

Was there any other damage to equipment outside, or to
the Claytor pavillion sheltering the 611 and 1218?

I hope the VMT has sufficient insurance to cover the
damage. That expense will be a big hit for their
operating budget otherwise.

Thanks for letting me know,

Frank