Tonnage rating in the Durham District, 1919.

Sun Jul 23 21:38:37 EDT 2006

The tonnage ratings, as I understand, are for the train weight only,
I'd imagine that addition of auxiliary tenders in later years might
have changed the calculations slightly, but have never seen anything to
confirm that.

Probably the Ms and Z1s were still mainline power at the time, and not
used on the Durham district. I hope to find my locomotive assignment
drawing copies and be able to answer more specifically. According to
N&W drawing for Passenger locomotive assignments, which I listed in the
Class J book on page 8, for December 31, 1918, the Durham district had
four Class U 4-6-0s and three Class T 2-8-0s. By August 1927, the
assignments had changed, with three Class V 4-6-0s handling the
passenger assignments.

Ken Miller