Tonnage Rating of Locomotives

Mon Jul 31 00:12:16 EDT 2006

To all,

Would someone please explain the Tonnage Ratings of Locomotives found in the
Employee Time Tables. This request is related to my earlier posting
concerning the Tonnage Rating on the Durham District and locomotive limitations that
are implied.

In the Norfolk Div. #9 ETT, effective March 9, 1919, the Tonnage Rating of
Locomotives listed for the Durham District Southward from Lynchburg to Naruna
is 620 for Class T, 520 for Class G, and 470 for Class F. From Naruna to
Durham the ratings change to 720 for Class T, 620 for Class G, and 570 for Class
570.

Class G and F locomotives are listed at higher ratings for other areas in
the Division. Class T isn't even listed anywhere else for the Division.
Classes Z-1, M-2 SH, M-2, M and W are listed, just not for Durham.

I am guessing that 1) the Durham District's track, bridges, and other
structures couldn't support the larger, heavier and more powerful locomotives, and
2) the business for the Durham District didn't require the 1st class power.

But what numbers does the Tonnage rating refer? Also, what about passenger
locomotives such as Class V? Would it be assumed anything smaller than a T,
G, or F would have been allowed?

Thanks,

Chuck Stewart
Bahama