Tonnage Rating of Locomotives

Wed Aug 2 15:30:21 EDT 2006

"Not to overdo the tonnage rating discussion, is the rating in gross tons (total train weight)"

Ted,
Tonnage ratings are for gross weight.

"Who kept track of train weights when assembling trains in those days?"

When I started, we were given a list of what was in the train and it's tonnage out of the terminal. Out on the road, the Conductor kept a running count of tonnage when picking up and setting off. Tonnage could be taken from the data stenciled on the cars, both gross and net.
Crews working regular shifters knew what cars held. For instance when working the quarries at Buchanan, Va. we would run boxes at 50 tons and covered hoppers at 70 tons net with each car at 30 tons. A bit of a guesstamit but we hardly ever stalled as long as the units were working OK.
Jimmy Lisle