Passenger Exchange N&W to PRR

Tue Aug 8 23:14:03 EDT 2006

My September 28, 1947 Norfolk and Western public timetable shows sleepers
New York - Roanoke, coaches Harrisburg - Roanoke, and dining cars Shenandoah -
Roanoke. Growing up in Bluefield, my dad often had to travel to New York
City. He'd typically go coach to Roanoke and pick up the New York sleeper in
Roanoke. Apparently it was not unusual for the diner to be a PRR diner (in
which case he'd eat at the station in Roanoke!), so it's entirely possible that
the diner just shut down after Shenandoah but stayed in the train. I'm sure
others will fill in the missing details.

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 8/8/2006 10:32:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,