Remore control SD45s...

Tue Aug 8 23:37:36 EDT 2006

> It is my understanding that only the Shenandoah train was run using

> remote control (Locotrol), and that it was a poor experience. I did

> not think the N&W used remotes on the record breaking trains...

> Take care

> Robb Fisher

Robb, I will beg to differ, according to the Norfolk and Western
Magazine, issue of November 20, 1967, pages 368 and 369. Yes, Jimmy,
hit an extra key on the tonnage of the Shenandoah Division train,
should have been 18,000 ton train.

The two articles read as follows, paying particular attention to
paragraphs 2 and 3

N&W Moves Longest and Heaviest Train
The longest and heaviest freight train ever before operated by an
American railroad-450 loaded coal cars-was moved October 25 by the
Norfolk and Western Railway between Iaeger and Williamson, W. Va.
(Picture on front cover.) Weight of the train, including the
locomotives, was 44,475 tons. It was a approximately three and one half
males long.

Powered by three of the railway's 3,600-horsepower diesel locomotives
on the head end and five remotely-controlled units of the same
horsepower near the middle, the super-train left Iaeger at 3:40 p. m.
and arrived at Williamson at 5:25 p. m. There were no road delays.

Successful operation of the big train, according to R. F. Dunlap, N&W
vice president-operations, was due to competent planning and
supervision and skillful operation by the crew. Radio control of the
five unmanned "slave" locomotive units, which operate in response to
high frequency signals from the lead locomotive, also was effective,
Mr. Dunlap said. He explained that the rearward position of these
locomotives in the train better distributed the power for moving the
record number of cars.

James F. Litz, of Roanoke, the N&W's general road foreman of engines,
was in charge of arranging and handling the huge train, with the aid of
the railway's Pocahontas Division Superintendent W. 0. Tracy, Jr., and
division supervisors. The train crew consisted of Conductor W. H. Lusk,
Engineman R. E. Bailey and Brakemen B. H. Curry and Lawrence Porter.

The train was partially assembled with 317 loads at Wilcoe, W. Va., and
moved to Iaeger where 133 additional loads from Auville Yard were
added. The train was then dispatched for its journey to Williamson.

From Norfolk and Western Magazine, page 368, November 20, 1967

Operating Locomotives By Remote Control

The Norfolk and Western is now developing the operation of some heavy
tonnage trains on the Shenandoah, Pocahontas and Pittsburgh Divisions
with the use of remotely-controlled locomotives at some mid-point in
the train in addition to those on the head end. The controlled or
"slave" units are operated upon the receipt of radio signals
transmitted from equipment in the lead or master unity as initiated by
the engineer through a control console.

When, for example, the engineer operates the throttle and/or brake
valve on the lead unit, radio command signals are transmitted
simultaneously to the slave unit's radio receiving equipment which, in
turn, operates relays to govern the throttle and/or brakes on the slave
unit-and through train line cables to the other units operating in
unison with the slave as
multiple-unit power.

The picture above shows a 189-car train carrying approximately 18,000
tons of coal moving north over the Shenandoah Valley line near Natural
Bridge, Va.. with the slave units somewhat behind the middle of the
train. Another photograph shows the engineer's control apparatus on the
lead, or master, locomotive unit.

One important advantage in operating remotely-controlled locomotives in
heavy tonnage trains is to better distribute the power for moving the
train. By so doing, the strong drawbar pull of the lead units on cars
near the head end of the train is alleviated to some extent by the
middle-of-the-train units thus reducing the possibility of train
breaks-in-two.

Another advantage is much faster and smoother control of the brakes
throughout the train because synchronized control of the brakes is
maintained at two locations in the train. Also, if it is desirable for
any reason, the throttle and braking on the slave units may be
controlled by the engineer independently of the lead units.

From Norfolk and Western Magazine, page 369, November 20, 1967

Then in the Janaury 1, 1968 issue, the following article appeared

Making Railroad History
N&W's Operation of 500-Car Coal Train Was a Big Event of 1967

One of the most widely publicized stories about the Norfolk and Western
in 1967 was the operation on November 15 of the longest and heaviest
freight train in railroad history. The facts are quickly stated, but
even more interesting for the general reader are background data and
sidelights of the train's run between Iaeger, W. Va. and Portsmouth,
Ohio.

Briefly the facts are that the N&W operated a coal train of 500 cars,
four miles in length and weighing 48,170 tons, for a distance of 159
miles-a record. Power was furnished by six 3,600 h. p. diesel
locomotives-three on the head end and three radio-controlled slave
units 300 cars from the lead units.

As Vice President-operations R. F. Dunlap noted after earlier runs of
420 to 450-car trains last fall, the operations were experiments
designed to gain experience in moving maximum-tonnage trains.

The 500-car train was designed to show, among other things, whether the
slave locomotives could be operated as far as 300 cars from the head
end.This phase of the run was considered a success with "continuity"
between lead and slave units interrupted on one or two brief intervals
when the train was passing through tunnels.

The train was composed of the usual assortment of coal-carrying
cars-hoppers and gondolas of various capacity, Both N&W and foreign. No
special arrangements were made to assemble new cars or those of any one
type.

Operation of brakes along the four-mile train was closely observed by
N&W personnel along the right-of-way. Using two-way radios, these men
reported the condition of the train as it passed.

The only hitch in operation of the long train occurred at Williamson
when a knuckle broke on a 70-ton hopper 150 cars from the rear. This
mishap, which can occur on any trains was repaired immediately.

One observer, taking his first ride on a freight train, was amazed to
observe that the head end of the long train moved ahead at the start
for more than two minutes before the cab reported the rear of the train
in motion.

The train had 12 car-lengths of slack, which took that long to work
itself out.

Aboard the train were a number of N&W occurs and supervisors as well as
representatives of the Public Relations Department with men from
Railway Age and the Roanoke World-News. Included were: M. E. Bowman,
general manager, Pocahontas Region; J. F. Litz, general road foreman of
engines, who operated the locomotives from Williamson to Portsmouth; W.
O. Tracy, Jr., superintendent, Pocahontas Division, and C. H. Hale,
superintendent Scioto Division; C. H. Hale, Pocahontas Division road
foreman of engines, who operated the locomotives from jaeger to
Williamson; John Marcroft, general air brake inspector; Don Mayberry,
gang foreman, Shaffers Crossing Shop, who checked the remote control
system; Edward Donlon, of Railway Age. Tom White, of the Roanoke
World-News, and E. F. Striplin, N&W public relations representative.

The train and engine crewmen from Iaeger to Williamson were Conductor
E. T. Hagy, Engineer R. E. Bailey, and Brakemen B. H. Curry and P. L.
Pigman. Crewmen from Williamson to Portsmouth were Conductor B. L.
Thornton, Engineer J. W. Marcum, Fireman D. W. Clark and Brakemen P. H.
Dupuy and R. G. Sutherland.

Particularly impressive was the teamwork and cooperation which made the
run a success. As officers making the run noted, "The employees right
down the line took great pride and interest in this train. They were
determined to make it a success and they are due a lot of credit and
recognition."

From Norfolk and Western Magazine, page 14, Janaury 1, 1968

i do agree that the remote operation of the units was not a success in
general service, and disappeared rather quickly. I believe that the
Russians ran an even longer train (600 cars?) and the N&W ultimately
gave up trying.

Ken Miller