caboose restoration

Thu Aug 10 05:00:44 EDT 2006

Ann,
As I have previously stated, the pool cab agreement went into effect
before 1973. Other than locals, shifters and mine runs, the C31 cabs were
pooled despite what Bowers and Brewers book may lead you to believe.
Qualified crew members received $1.00 per trip extra for having their cabs
pooled.
The repainting to red with white NW w/ white stripe and designation
change from C31 to C31P, along with the conversion from propane to electric
lights did occur around the time of 1976/77, happening after the coming of
the C32 cabs.
As for food, I believe there were doors under the sink for storage and
anything could be kept in boxes in the lockers which are quite large going
from floor to the bottom of the cupola floor.
Jimmy Lisle