The most perfect locomotive

Fri Sep 8 08:35:46 EDT 2006

Class J No. 610 was loaned to the Pennsylvania Railroad for testing
from December 5, 1944 to January 3, 1945 operating approximately 7100
miles on the Fort Wayne Division. It made 2 trips in freight service
and 12 round trips in passenger service over that time. The Pennsy
generally found that the locomotive was more powerful than any other
passenger locomotive on the Fort Wayne Division at slow and medium
speeds and not slippery. They were surprised it made so many trips at
high speed before a failure occurred, generally attributed to
lubrication failure and high speed as a contributing factor.

The Pennsy also noted that it steamed well, better (by their own
admission) than the T1, and steamed better with a rather poor grade of
coal.

They also noted that the speedometer did not calibrate over 100 mph,
but on one trip, an average speed of 94 mph was maintained for 45
miles. Average train consists ranged between 9 cars (2 times) to 16
cars (5 times). On the 24 trips that I have data on, the average was
13.83 cars per train. The quote largely mentioned is a 16 car, 1025 ton
train which comes to a just over 128,000 pounds per car.

Rather consistently, the 610 ran actual times less than scheduled
times, generally delays were due to outside factors (other trains,
dragging equipment.

There does exist a photo of 610 at Chicago Union Station with a T1 (if
I recall correctly) on an adjacent track.

Ken Miller