The most perfect locomotive -- N&W's J -- and Its TOP Speed of 128 mph!!!

Sun Sep 10 06:36:59 EDT 2006

How was that speed measured?

EdK
Sent: Saturday, September 09, 2006 12:57 PM
Subject: RE: The most perfect locomotive -- N&W's J -- and Its TOP Speed of 128 mph!!!

Gordon, Ed, Abram, Kenneth, Jim, Bill And All You Other N&W "Egg-spurts" And "Men of Iron" Out There,
Ah, Yes, the Ultimate Js that I treasure in memory from my fondly-recalled Youth riding both ways out of Bluefield, WV, in the early 1950s. But here is a brand-new J story (in at least two ways) that I took to be Gospel at the time. -- However, should I now disavow its content here right at 50 years later??
While awaiting my Virginian Signal Supervisor Father's imminent arrival at Bluefield on Number 25 one beautiful early afternoon about 1955, Our Princeton Park Avenue Neighbor Stanley Clendenin invited into the very large cab of a Y-5 or or a Y-6 just west of the depot in his capacity as Yard Engineer. During our brief conversation before the J-powered westbound "Powhatan Arrow" arrived just yards away, Mister Clendenin told me about a break-in run in 1941 of The Number 600 during which this famous charge -- on the Suffolk-Petersburg "corduroy" log-underpinned straightaway through the Great Dismal Swamp -- reached 128 miles per hour!!!!
What do You Fellas think about that!! Is this ?"a rural legend" Or The TRUTH As Emanated From Stanley Clendenin??? Best Wishes in Your Cogitations, Lloyd D. Lewis.....