S1a and M2 Automatic

Tue Sep 19 21:23:22 EDT 2006

I'm no mechanical engineer, but lessee, at, lessay, 25 pounds/scoop, that'd be 20 scoops/hour. The next question I'd ask would be how active would the engine be in that hour? Dunno how feasible that 500 lb.'s/hr. is, but it sounds feasible depending on the usage rate/load methinx IMHO. Still, I've only fired oil burners. My $.02

Andre Jackson and/or Lisa Burrows
Life is short; update your anti-virus software
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 7:21 PM
Subject: Re: S1a and M2 Automatic

Jim,

Thanks but I don't think this could be accurate. I am sure you remembered what you heard but this level of coal consumption is under 8% of the maximum firing rate of the engine. I find this to be a highly unlikely value. But thanks for giving me what you had.

John Rhodes

The capacities resulted from the designers seeing how big a tender they could put on that frame and still allow clear vision to the back.. Incidently, the frame on both tenders under consideration was the same one. (from a USRA 12,000 gallon tender) At the time, I think I heard someone in Bluefield say an S1a burned 500 pounds an hour, so the 15 ton bunker would last 48 hours or more at that rate. Jim Nichols

All,

Some questions/clarification:
First on the coal side:
The S1a had a 15 ton tender. this was designed around 24 hours? or 12?
The M2 Automatic had 20 ton tender. I read it was designed around 2 days of fuel 48 hours? Is this true?

Second Water:
The S1a had 13,000 gallons in tender. what time span was this based on. 2 fills per coal fill? 3
The M2 Automatic 11000 gallons. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John Rhodes