S1a and M2 Automatic

Wed Sep 20 21:24:33 EDT 2006

To add further to what Jim has said, The S1/S1a's were very dependent on the type service they were in. When switching in a yard with much starting and stopping, they were less demanding for coal. When working on a branch line with more continuous running, they were more demanding. Two yard engineers from Roanoke that I interviewed said normally they took on coal once and water twice daily when working 'round the clock.

Bud Jeffries
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 12:07 AM
Subject: Re: S1a and M2 Automatic

The capacities resulted from the designers seeing how big a tender they could put on that frame and still allow clear vision to the back.. Incidently, the frame on both tenders under consideration was the same one. (from a USRA 12,000 gallon tender) At the time, I think I heard someone in Bluefield say an S1a burned 500 pounds an hour, so the 15 ton bunker would last 48 hours or more at that rate. Jim Nichols

All,

Some questions/clarification:
First on the coal side:
The S1a had a 15 ton tender. this was designed around 24 hours? or 12?
The M2 Automatic had 20 ton tender. I read it was designed around 2 days of fuel 48 hours? Is this true?

Second Water:
The S1a had 13,000 gallons in tender. what time span was this based on. 2 fills per coal fill? 3
The M2 Automatic 11000 gallons. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John Rhodes