TLC Y Book

Sun Sep 24 19:16:10 EDT 2006

I suppose it's time for an update on this project, to the extent that we know its status. But first let me say that the Society has no role in the production of the book. The book is entirely a project of TLC publishing. The Society has an outstanding purchase order with TLC for distribution of the book, in the same way we distribute other books by other publishers.

Because we are holding a sizeable number of reservations for the book, we have periodically tried to learn its status. In that vein, within the last three months, several of your officers have been told by several sources that the Y book is still on the TLC production calendar. Whether those sources are well-informed is anybody's guess. Tom Dixon, who owns TLC and is thus the only authoritative source, has told Bob Bowers that the book will be produced, but no timetable was given. And I must say that we have been told that on several occasions.

That is essentially the same status we have known for several years. The Society has held in our account all reservation deposits; no money will go to TLC until the book is in our hands. From time to time a member has requested a refund, which we have honored.

We have no idea what the holdup is on the book, but if we want to see it produced, we should hold our reservations lest the project be cancelled. Having said that, the decision to hold or cancel a resrvation is an individual one.

Bill McClure
President
N&WHS