Fwd: N&W Train Order Signals - "Calling On"

Sun Sep 24 20:13:05 EDT 2006

I am still trying to digest all this! Wow, what a bunch of information!
Ben Blevins

We call them "call on" signals. They are still in use today. I have them on
the westbound signals at Arthur and Montgomery. If trains are moving back to
back we can use the "call on" feature and get a "Restricted" signal into a
block that is already occupied by a train moving in the same direction as
the requested "call on" signal. I also have a "call on" signal at the west
end of Whitethorne (the west end of Whitethorne is now called "VPI Farm")
that I use to put the pusher up behind coal trains. It gives the pusher a
"restricted" signal into the block with the coal train and saves us from
having to block the switch and talk the pusher in behind the coal train
"according to the rule".

See ya,
Russell Dickerson